Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Strange websites, Posdmodernism, and "Indie Johnny"

Sometimes when I get bored, I look for the most obscure "Christian" website I can find, just to see what someone's opinions are. Sometimes I run across some pretty strange websites put up by some pretty fanatical people. I won't link any, because I don't really want to promote them (to all 2 of the people reading this). But as I read that stuff, the stuff that tells me that I am going to Hell for reading the New International Version of the Bible, or for having tattoos, or for "looking like the world," I just start to think to myself about how much damage it does to me to give equal weight to every opinion I come across.
Today at work, my friend Johnny (who I secretly call "Indie Johnny" for his affinity for music I have never heard of) and I were talking about post-modernism and universalism, etc. And he was saying that he hates the "post-modern" outlook because it gives equal value to every opinion. He said it "makes subjectivity king." I was definitely surprised to hear him say this because I, in my ignorance, had assumed him to be a post-modern poster-boy. But the point is, he sort of helped me to further understand that some people's opinions are not worth considering seriously. But who's opinion is worth my attention then? I am still working through this. I'm not sure. What if I dismiss someone who I really should listen to, or listen to someone I really should dismiss? Dang. Is it luck? I have been thinking more seriously about predestination lately. Maybe we are all just destined to believe what we do, and that's just that and we endure the consequences regardless. I guess it's not up to me anyways. Dang, this is frustrating.
Well, here comes the cliche Evangelical in me: I do know one thing. I believe Scripture. I don't always know what exactly it means, or how it works, or how I am to apply it, but I do believe it. It's like it's the only objective voice in my life. It's like it is the pinnacle example of what deserves my attention, and everything else gets less and less value placed upon it.
So that's a really "modern" thing to say, I realize, but I do find some beauty in a reference point. You don't have to agree with me. I make no apologies about hoping that you do agree with me, but I won't hate you if you don't.
I don't want to give you the impression that I have resolved all of my problems with this conclusion. I still don't have an answer for whose interpretation of Scripture I should believe, or why my own interpretation is superior to anyone else's. I guess the honest answer is that it isn't, which, of course, opens the floodgates for a barrage of problems and paradoxes. But I say bring 'em on.
Ok, that's all.

No comments: