Sunday, July 22, 2007

Brand New and the Bible

So probably the best album I have purchased in the last 3 years or so is Brand New's "The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me". It is one of the most brutally honest albums I have ever heard, and it's a beautiful image of a man struggling with his faith and who he is. Because of how much I have listened to the album, and because I have WAAAAAY too much time on my hands, I wrote up a list of Biblical references found throughout the album. I don't know if anyone will find this useful or even interesting, but, here it is.

Sowing Season

“No time to get the seeds into the cold ground” – (Matthew 13:1-23)


Milestone

“I was about my father’s work” – (Luke 2:49)

“I’m my own stone around my neck” – (Mark 9:42)


Jesus Christ

“Jesus Christ, I’m alone again. So what did you do those three days you were dead?” – (Luke 24:7)

“At the gates does Thomas ask to see my hands?” – (John 20:27)

“I know you’re coming in the night like a thief.” – (1 Thessalonians 5:2)

“I’ll try to nail you back up.” – (Reference to Christ’s being nailed to the cross; Acts 2:23)


Degausser

(Heard in the background) “When I arrive will God be waiting and pacing around His throne?” – (Revelations 7:10)

(Heard in the background) “Will He feel a little Old Testament?” – (Reference to the idea that God is portrayed as more wrathful in the Old Testament than in the New Testament).

(Heard in the background) “Will He celebrate with fire and brimstone?” – (Psalms 11:6)

“Take apart the demon up in the attic to the left.” (Reference to the Biblical concept that the good will appear on God’s right side, while the wicked will appear on His left; Matthew 25:33)

“When we were made we were set apart.” – (Reference to being “set apart” for or against the service of God; Leviticus 20:26)


Limousine

“I saw our sad Messiah. He was bored and tired of my laments. He said, ‘I died for you once, but never again.’” – (Perhaps an allusion to the concept of a lost salvation, a heavily debated issue in Christian circles; Hebrews 6:4-6)


You Won’t Know

“I have burned the bush that covered my light.” – (Reference to Christ’s warning against hiding a light under a bushel; Matthew 5:15)

“My smiling face that’s on my head that’s on your silver plate.” – (Reference to the presentation of John the Baptist’s head to the daughter of Herodias; Mark 6:25)

“They say in Heaven there’s no husbands and wives.” – (Matthew 22:30)


Archers

“While you’re beating with a book everyone that book tells you to love.” (Probably an allusion to the fact that the Bible commands followers of Christ to love unconditionally, and yet Christians have a history of discrimination and injustice)

1 comment:

Luke said...

Sounds like an amazing CD - I'll have to check it out. Thanks for reading and commenting on the blog, BTW!

Luke
thealternativelifestyle.wordpress.com